Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Geocaching and Benchmarking in the Columbia River Gorge, November 4, 2009


My eldest daughter, Kimberly, and I went geocaching and benchmarking in the Columbia River Gorge. We left Vancouver, WA about 7:00am, traveling across the I-205 bridge and east on I-84 to Troutdale. It was very chilly and windy. After finding several geocaches in Troutdale, we traveled along the old Columbia River Highway finding geocaches and benchmarks along the way. At Crown Point the wind was blowing so strong that we had trouble standing upright!

We traveled east to The Dalles on I-84 where we had Afternoon Tea at The Anzac Tea Parlour - "A Taste of Australia" in a historic house. Besides the sandwiches and savories shown in the photo we had scones with jam and cream and choice of desserts. I saved my chocolate covered strawberry and Anzac biscuit (what we would call a cookie) to have later. We were invited into the large kitchen with its blackboard slate floor, old growth beams, and collection of collectible tins.

We did some geocaching and benchmarking in The Dalles and Mosier on the way home. We took the Old Columbia River Highway via Rowena Crest. I photographed and got the coordinates to a Glacial Erratic in Mosier for a Waymark. The sunset was absolutely spectacular! There was a full Harvest Moon but it was seen dimly behind the clouds. The three outstanding caches: Co-Pilot's Log, Bridal Veil R.I.P. and Old Town Troutdale.

No comments: