Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Cataclysms on the Columbia: The Great Missoula Floods"


Yesterday evening I went to the West Linn, Oregon where I had a light dinner at Starbucks - fruit and cheese plate, drink and shortbread cookies.

While I ate the shortbread cookies I read "twilight Directors Notebook" by Catherine Hardwicke (First Edition - March 2009). I am reading "twilight" by Stephanie Meyer. My son, Christopher, and I recently visited several locations in the film i.e. school cafeteria exterior, ballet studio, Oxbow Park, Viewpoint Inn (prom), Multnomah Falls (seen in background in baseball game scene), Bridge of the Gods, Meadow (baseball game), and huge fir tree at the edge of a cliff overlooking the Columbia River just above Cape Horn.

Afterwards I drove to the nearby Public Library to hear "Cataclysms on the Columbia: The Great Missoula Floods - A Major Update" by Dr. Scott F. Burns, chair of the Department of Geology at Portland State University. He specializes in environmental and engineering geology, geomorphology, soils, and Quaternary geology. For the past 40 years Burns has been studying wine and terroir - the relationship between wine, soils, geology and climate.

No comments: