Friday, September 10, 2010

Backroads of Oregon - Day 8


On Saturday, September 4, my son, Christopher, daughter, Catherine and I had a complimentary continental breakfast. We traveled back to Crescent Lake, back to Oakridge, crossed the river at Lowell, through Fall Creek, Springfield, Marcola, Crawfordsville to I-5 and home to Vancouver/Portland. We stopped at Oakridge Ray’s for sandwich and bottle water. We ate lunch at a picnic table near the red Office Covered Bridge.

The highlight of the day was visiting the various Covered Bridges: Lowell, Office, Unity – Fall Creek, Pengra, Wendling, Ernest (this bridge appeared in the movie Shenandoah starring Jimmy Stewart that was filmed in the Mohawk Valley during the mid-1960s. The movie company altered the bridge to reflect Civil War architecture, and then restored it back to the original condition in 1965), and Crawfordsville Covered Bridge. We found 13 caches (Catherine found three additional caches and Christopher found two additional caches) and 2 benchmarks. All together we found 152 geocaches and benchmarks during our eight day trip.

I took Catherine to her home in east Vancouver, stopped by my house to get Christopher’s cat where he had been staying, drove Christopher to his apartment in northwest Portland and then got back to my house very late at night. It was good to sleep in my own bed once again!

No comments: