Monday, March 27, 2017

Trip to Walt Disney World/Sea World  March 17 - 24, 2017

What is there to do at WDW/Sea World if you do not ride the rides?  It turns out there a lot of fun things to do.  And some disappointments.
I used a large chunk of my frequent flyer miles for a bulkhead seat in First Class.  I reserved a room on the top floor with a balcony at the Comfort Inn Buena Vista.  It is a great location for city bus transportation to Disney Springs, Comfort Inn Shuttle to WDW and Sea World, and nearby markets and restaurants.
I took a Blue Star Shuttle ($37 RT) to Portland (PDX), checked free two bags, cleared TSA precheck, and saw a couple short films at Hollywood Theater.  I relaxed in Alaska Lounge.  The flight left from PDX at 6:40am, arriving Orlando (MCO) at 3:07pm.  I collected my luggage and took a Mears Shuttle to the Comfort Inn.  I had dinner of Fish & Chips at nearby Hooters. 
I rose at 6:00am for 6:30 breakfast on Saturday,  March 18.  I traveled on Bus #50 to Disney Springs.  Interesting place.  I had a Turkey Havarti Sandwich and Shortbread Cookies for lunch at Starbucks at 1:40pm.  I hosted a Geocaching Event at 6:30.  I gave each cacher a Goodie bag when they signed the log.  I gave three prizes for the cachers who had the most Earthcaches, the most Virtuals and the most Benchmarks.  One of my best Events.  Highlights: photo of young boy at Sit-by-Me statue of Patrick Kavanagh (1904–1967), an Irish poet and novelist; lunch at Starbucks patio overlooking the tethered hot air balloon and the lake; and riding the ferry boat on the lake.  I caught the #50 bus back.  I walked to Domino's Pizza from the Comfort Inn and got a pizza for dinner.
I rose at 6:00am for 6:30 breakfast on Sunday, March 19.  I traveled on Shuttle to Epcot Transportation Center.  I got a greatly reduced WDW four day ticket with Park Hopper.   Epcot is my all time favorite place but not on a Sunday and not during Spring Break!  I had the Cheese Plate at U.K. Rose and Crown.  R&C updated the plate which was disappointing.  I met Stephen Twining - the 10th generation of the Twinings tea dynasty.   I took a guided tour of the English Tea Garden.  I saw the films at several Pavilions.  I was deeply disappointed that Norway had changed its ride.  I had a Yogurt Parfait at Norway Kringla Bake.  Highlights: flowers in profusion (Flower and Garden Festival), Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival, Journey into Imagination with Figment, Butterfly Haven, Canadian pavilion "O Canada!" film; China Acrobats, and the two boat rides - Living with the Land and the Mexico Pavilion.  I caught the 8:00 shuttle back to the Comfort Inn.   I had leftover Dominos Pizza for dinner.
I rose at 6:00am for 6:30 breakfast on Monday, March 20.  I traveled on Shuttle to Epcot Transportation Center.   I ended up visiting the incredible Wilderness Lodge near Magic Kingdom where I took several photos of the massive 82 foot tall, three sided stone Geological Fireplace.  The lodge was inspired by Early American National Parks Service lodges.  I traveled by Shuttle to Animal Kingdom.  Paloma at Disney Services helped me set up the Disney App and taught me how to set up the Fast Pass.  I had a Fruit Cup, Blueberry Scone and Earl Grey Tea at Starbucks for lunch.  Highlights: Kilimanjaro Safari and live shows - Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo - The Musical.  I was disappointed that I missed Flights of Wonder in Asia.  I had dinner at Flame Tree Barbecue of Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich with Cole Slaw and French Fries.  I traveled back to Epcot where I caught the 8:00 shuttle back to the Comfort Inn.
I rose at 6:00am for 6:30 breakfast on Tuesday, March 21.  I traveled on Shuttle to Epcot Transportation Center.   I rode the Monorail to Disney Transportation Center.  I rode the Ferry Boat to the Magic Kingdom.  I got a Mickey Mouse vanilla ice cream cone at the Ice Cream Parlor.  I really like the Fast Pass.  Highlights: Enchanted Tiki Room, Pirates of the Caribbean, Country Bear Jamboree and the Haunted Mansion.  I did not have a good tour guide on the Jungle Cruise.  I loved the Golden Horseshoe show but it is unfortunately gone.  I had lunch of Lobster Roll at Columbia Harbour House.  I found a great location in Frontierland  to watch the beginning of the 3:00 Disney Parade.  I had Blueberry Cobbler at Columbia Harbour House at 4:15.  I traveled back to Epcot where I caught the 8:00 shuttle back to the Comfort Inn.
I rose at 6:00am for 6:30 breakfast on Wednesday, March 22.  I traveled on Shuttle to Sea World.  I saw all of the shows.  I saw the Killer Whale/Orca show twice.  This is the last year of the killer whale show.  I had a delicious slice of Carrot Cake at Voyagers Smokehouse for lunch.  Highlights: Shark Encounter (the escalator was not moving so I had lots of time to watch the sharks), Killer Whale/Orca shows and the Caribbean Flamingos.  I got a Smoked Turkey Sandwich and a Cheesecake at Cypress Bakery to take back to the Comfort Inn for dinner.  I got back late as the shuttle did not pick me up on time (7:15 instead of 6:45).  I got back in plenty of time to watch "Survivor".
I rose at 6:00am for 6:30 breakfast on Thursday, March 23.  I traveled on Shuttle to Epcot Transportation Center.   I rode the monorails to the Magic Kingdom.  I rode the kids rides - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, it's a small world, Peter Pan's Flight and saw Under the Sea.  I had lunch at Columbia Harbour House of Shrimp Platter with Fries and Cole Slaw.  I went back to the great location in Frontierland to watch the beginning of the 3:00 Disney Parade.  It started sprinkling when I got to Tomorrowland.   I rode the PeopleMover (saw inside Space Mountain!) and rode the Carousel of Progress.  Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and the Hall of Presidents were closed.  I got a Mickey Mouse vanilla ice cream cone at the Ice Cream Parlor.  The entire Disney monorail system was shut down so I caught a bus to Epcot and then caught the 6:00 shuttle back to the Comfort Inn.  I am absolutely exhausted.
I did not write about everything that I saw and did - just the highlights.  I do regret that I did not spend more time exploring Disney's Wilderness Lodge and grounds.  And take time to have Afternoon Tea at Disney's Grand Floridian Garden View Tea Room.
I rose at 6:00am for 6:30 breakfast on Friday, March 24.  I walked several blocks about 9:00 to find a Mystery Cache - Crossroads.  I packed my suitcases.  The Mears shuttle picked me up at 12:30.  I got to the airport early.  No First Class Lounge.  The flight left at 4:07.  Plenty of leg room again in a First Class Bulkhead Seat.  There was only about 15 minutes that the seat belt light was turned off.  Very rough flight.  I arrived Portland Airport about 7:30, picked up my luggage and walked across to Blue Star shuttle pickup.  Cold and rainy.

No comments: