Saturday, December 2, 2017

Amtrak Trip to Leavenworth, Washington

I left the house about 6:15AM on Wednesday, November 29 via Uber for Marshall Center.  I read "The Columbian" newspaper in Marshall Center lobby.  I checked in with the trip leaders at Leupke Center about 7:00.  We boarded two vans about 7:30 for the short trip to the Amtrak Station.  The 8:35 train did not arrive until 9:35! 

I had a window seat on the water side.  It was a very enjoyable trip to Seattle.  I walked a few blocks to Starbucks at 400 Occidental Ave S where I had the crackers, cheese, and fruit protein box, shortbread cookies and Earl Grey tea.  Nancy came in while I was eating and joined me for an interesting conversation.  We walked back to the King Street Amtrak Station.  The renovation is complete.  Stunning!

The train left for Leavenworth about 4:40PM.  It was soon dark.  Great view of the Christmas lights along the way.  Some snow at the 2,000+ ft. level crossing the Cascades at Stevens Pass.

We arrived at Icicle Station in Leavenworth about 8:00PM.  A bus shuttle took us to the Bavarian Lodge.  We each got a small sack with two chocolate chip cookies.  There was hot cider also.  I got my room key to 320.  It was on the back side of the Lodge.  I would not be able to enjoy the Christmas lights in the park from my room window.  Instead I overlooked the parking lot and houses.  Much quieter though.

I rose early for 7:00 AM breakfast Thursday morning.  We went on a wagon ride at Red Tail Canyon Ranch.  We had cookies and hot drink.  Back at Leavenworth I took an IPhone photo of the webcam photo of me at the park, wandered through many of the stores as snow fell and then looked for a warm place to eat lunch.  I had a roasted tomato, mozzarella cheese and basil pesto toasted focaccia, shortbread cookies and Earl Grey tea at Starbucks.  Most enjoyable.  I had chocolate ice cream mixed with toasted, chopped almonds in a cup at a nearby ice cream parlor.  I enjoyed the colorful Christmas lights in the park from the ice cream parlor window.

Back at the Bavarian Lodge I sat in front of the fire in the fireplace in the lobby.  I had planned to hear Bluegrass music at the Icicle Pub this evening but they had to run a Sounder game on television so the Bluegrass music was canceled.  Sad.  Later I had a glass of Riesling wine at the Lodge Pub.  We sat on comfy chairs in front of the fireplace.  I shared a bit of Nancy's bruschetta.  I watched some television in my room, packed, showered and fell instantly asleep.

I woke at 4:00AM on Friday morning, dressed and headed downstairs with my backpack and tote bag.  We boarded the van for the short ride to Icicle Station.  A few of us wandered over to one of the heated shelters.  The train was about 17 minutes late.  We got into Seattle about 11:00. 

I headed east to Starbucks at 505 5th Ave S. where I had the crackers, cheese and fruit protein box, shortbread cookies and two cups of Earl Grey tea.  I sat at a table with two very well dressed business people.  The woman, Laine, and the man, David, are writers/producers.  Big Story Productions.  Fascinating conversation.  They are currently working on presenting the story of the Panama Hotel.  I read the novel "The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" and have actually eaten lunch at the Panama Hotel where I saw through a glass floor panel the luggage that was left by the Japanese when they were interred during WWII.   I told David about Dave Ulmer; Jeremy, Brian and Elias at Groundspeak; and Geocaching. 

We caught the train about 2:15 for Vancouver, WA.  I once again had a view of the water as we headed south.  This will be the last time that I will have this view as the train will henceforth travel inland.  So sad.  We arrived in Vancouver at 5:30 about 17 minutes late. We took the vans to Marshall Center.  Carol gave me a ride home. 

No comments: