Tuesday, March 6, 2012

"Sight Unseen" by Portland Civic Theatre Guild, Tues. March 6, 2012



This morning I drove the car to Delta Park, rode MAX to PSU and then caught the streetcar to 10th & Clay. I saw the Portland Civic Theatre Guild production of "Sight Unseen".

According to Wikipedia, “Sight Unseen” is a play by Donald Margulies. At its center is Jonathan Waxman, a Brooklyn Jew who has become an extraordinarily successful artist. He claims astronomical prices for his work sight unseen. Happily married, with a baby on the way, he travels to London for a retrospective of his work. While there, he impulsively decides to journey to the countryside to visit his former model and lover Patricia in the Norfolk farmhouse where she lives and works with her archeologist husband Nick, an older man she married in order to remain in England when her student visa expired. The play unfolds in a non-linear progression, with forward and backward jumps in time that eventually lead to the beginning of a relationship that ended without satisfactory closure.

After the play, I rode the Streetcar north. I stopped at Nordstrom café to have lunch. I sat at a table near the window so I could people watch on the street below. Afterwards I rode the MAX yellow line to Delta Park where I had left my car.

No comments: