Saturday, July 7, 2012

Trip to Guler Cave

I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 2555LMT this noon at Walmart.  Best Buy refused to match the price and said that Walmart opened the Garmin Nuvi cases and removed items so they could sell it cheaper.  Hogwash!

I drove to Hood River, Oregon on I-84.  I stopped in Cascade Locks, Oregon where I had a large chocolate and vanilla swirl ice cream cone which melted faster than I could eat it.   I searched for a granite erratic on the summit of Van Horn Butte in Hood River that had been deposited during the Missoula Ice Age Floods.  I was not able to find the erratic. 

I drove across the Columbia River on the Hood River Toll Bridge to Trout Lake, Washington and Guler Ice Cave.   Someone took my photo with my camera at the entrance to the Guler Ice Cave.  I walked down the flight of stairs into the ice cave.  I stood on the bottom step to take several photos. 

I was not prepared to explore the ice cave as visitors should wear warm clothing, shoes with a good tread, head protection, and carry two sources of light.  Walking poles would be a good idea also.  I had the walking poles but not the rest of the gear.  Back in Trout Lake I had a very late lunch at the Historic Trout Lake County Inn (1904).

I drove back to Vancouver via Hwy 14.  About five miles east of Prindle a large black pickup truck had flipped on its side in the eastbound lane.  Its tires were against the guard rail.  Looked very strange.  Several people had stopped to help direct traffic.   I got home about 8:15pm.  Really enjoyable day.







No comments: