Saturday, August 26, 2017

Backroads of Upper Washington State DeLorme Atlas and upper Idaho DeLorme Atlas

Friday, August 18 - My son, Christopher, and I left Vancouver, Washington about 9:00am.  We stopped at Fred Meyer for gas for the car and batteries for GPS.  We headed north to Snoqualmie.  We stopped for breakfast at McDonalds in Kelso at 10:30.  The weather was hot but a lot cooler than last year.  We had lunch at Denny's in Spanaway at 2:30pm.   We found a cache behind the restaurant.  Employee (smoker) muggle told my son he couldn't go back there.  Ha.  We found the cache anyway as he had finished his smoke break.  We wandered for miles and miles on the backroads of farm/dairy country.  We had a great view of 14,411 ft high Mount Rainier in the Cascade Range.  We encountered a lot of traffic in Snoqualmie and North Bend.  We stopped at Double R Diner.  I had Cherry pie with vanilla ice cream.  A few days ago I created a "Twin Peaks" Bookmark.  We checked into the Summit Inn for two nights.  We were in a handicap room 107-A.  We attended the Meet and Greet "going APE" from 8:30-9:00 outside the lobby of the Summit Inn.  We walked next door to the Lee Summit Deli for late dinner to take back to our room 107-A.

Saturday, Aug 19 - We had breakfast at The Summit Pancake House.  We went to the Event location.  Christopher went through the spooky 100-year-old, 2.3-mile-long Snoqualmie Tunnel. He found Iron Horse Cache, KE BS Troop 570 Iron Horse Cache, The Iron Horse Express Cache, and The Rocket Cache along the Iron Horse Trail.  I signed the Logboard for us at the "Going Ape 2017" Event and purchased APE event geocoins.  I purchased a cup of very weak lemonade.  I drove to the Annette Lake Trailhead.  Exit 47 was closed for construction so I drove quite a distance to the next exit and backtracked.  I picked up Christopher.  The entire hike was 5.5 miles.  We found ?What a Wonderful World cache across the freeway before heading back to Snoqualmie Pass.  We had dinner at The Commonwealth Cafe.  We spent the night again at the Summit Inn in Room 107-A. 

Sunday, Aug 20 - I purchased a large muffin at The Summit Pancake House for light breakfast.  I attended the "Gone APE 2017" Event outside the lobby of the Summit Inn.  I took a Travel Bug that I will drop off later.  We had breakfast at Riverbend Cafe in North Bend.  Watched the golfers out the cafe window.  I do not understood golfers.  You golf for the exercise however you ride golf carts rather than walk!  I parked at the Parking Lot. Walked the Pipeline Trail at Sammamish to sign the Log for ?Washington DeLorme Challenge (GCQQ9B) Final.  We still have specific requirements that must be completed before logging this cache as Found.  We found Three Lakes Geo-Library at North Snohomish, found TNT bOoK CaChe at Marysville (we had lunch at McDonalds at 2:30) and found Cache a Nap at a Rest Stop on the way to Bellingham.  Couldn't find Up the Creek cache.  We had dinner at Round Table Pizza in Bellingham.  We stayed the night at the Econo Lodge & Suites in Room 307.  I prefer sleeping on the top floor.  We covered Page 32.

Monday, Aug 21 - We had a continental breakfast.  Christopher found two caches that I had already found: Pickett House in Bellingham (#15) and Roadkill Turtle (#32) in Sedro-Woolley.  Eclipse of the Sun hysteria.  We went too far east on Hwy 20.  However we did get to use the facilities at the North Cascades National Park Visitor Center.  We had to backtrack 10+ miles to travel south across the long, narrow silver bridge on the Cascade River Road to find the cache "Bridge over ...".  Back to the silver bridge at Hwy 20 and then east again.  The North Cascades Highway was completed in September 1972, connecting the Skagit River Valley with the Methow Valley.  The highway is closed in the winter due to snow accumulations and avalanches.  The highway crosses Washington Pass at 5,477 ft. (quite spectacular as is the Early Winter Spires) and Rainy Pass at 4,860 ft.  We got into Okanogan really late.  We checked into the Quality Inn Rooms 301 and 303.  We went to Burger King and McDonalds to pick up our dinners to take back to our rooms.  We found nine caches and did not find three caches.  We covered Pages 15, 16, 32, 33, 17, 34, 18, 19, and 35.

Tuesday, Aug 22 - We had breakfast at the Quality Inn.  We drove south to pick up Page 36.  We replaced a missing cache for A Handy Cache and found another cache downtown at Surveyors Park in Brewster.  We headed north and then east to find 14 more caches.  We stayed the night at Benny's Colville Inn in Room 243.  We got some food items at nearby Whittys South Town 7 for dinner to take back to our room.  We covered Pages 36, 20, 21, 38 and 22.

Wednesday, Aug 23 - We had a light breakfast.  We found 13 caches and did not find two caches.  Finding the Cully cache was particularly exciting!  The road was primitive and it was not clear whether it circled around (it did).  We had croissant sandwiches and a coconut macaroon (for me) for lunch at the Uphaus (German) Bakery in Kettle Falls.  We covered Pages 23, 39, 24, 40, 25, and 41.  We stayed the night at the Quality Inn Valley Suites in Room 416 in Spokane.  We sat at a booth at Denny's waiting to order dinner for way too long so I insisted that we walk out.  We ate at Applebee's.  Much better ambiance!

Thursday, Aug 24 - We had the Quality Inn breakfast.   We found two caches and an Earthcache in Washington State and then eight caches in Idaho.  We had dinner at Three Mile Corner Cafe in Bonners Ferry.  Many construction delays both in Idaho and Washington State.  I really should have booked TWO nights in Spokane or Thursday night stay someplace in Idaho.  It was too much to drive from Spokane through upper Idaho and then all the way to Pasco via Spokane.  Argh!  We stayed the night at Sleep Inn in Pasco in Room 212.

Friday, Aug 25 - I was exhausted.  Time to head home via Hwy 395 and I 84.  I played music previously downloaded on my I Phone via Bluetooth until we reached The Dalles.  Too much traffic.  Music would be distracting.  When we neared I 84 and I 205 junction traffic had come to a complete standstill.  I drove through downtown Portland to Interstate Avenue.  I stopped for gas at Killingsworth Gas Station.  I stopped at the Caples Post Office in Vancouver to get the mail.  I got the car washed at Andreson Road car wash.  We drove about 1818 miles on this trip.  If I did it correctly I have completed the Washington State DeLorme Challenge. 

No comments: