Saturday, August 12, 2017

Jacksonville Trip, August 8-10, 2017

The 50+ Travel Group from Vancouver, Washington met at Luepke Center (Marshall Center) about 7:30am.   We checked in and bags were loaded.  We departed by 8:00.  We had lunch at the Wild Duck (on our own) in Eugene.  I had berry pie with vanilla ice cream.  We went to the Wild Life Safari for an Elephant Encounter (money maker for WLS).  Our next stop was the Vortex House of Mystery at Sardine Creek at 5:00pm.  I was hot and miserable.  We checked into our hotel, Riverside Inn, and settled in our rooms.   I had upgraded my room to the top floor with a great view of the rainbow arch Caveman Bridge and the Rogue River.  We had dinner at nearby Tap Rock.  I had Ivars Clam Chowder and Caesar Salad.  I watched the last hour of "America's Got Talent".  
I was up early at 6:00am.  I had breakfast at the hotel.  I found a Benchmark on the Caveman Bridge and a geocache a bit farther along.  We departed for Jacksonville by 9:30am.  We took a Trolley ride.  I stood on back trolley platform so I could get some photos of benchmarks i.e. church steeples.  We had a narrated tour of this historical town.  "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid" was filmed here in 1972.  They removed modern traffic signs, the city streets were covered in dirt, wooden sidewalks added, and hitching posts added.  They constructed a new building filling in an open lot. We had lunch at the Jacksonville Inn.  I had warm crusty bread with butter, two small bowls of gazpacho soup and a crispy salad.  I had a scoop of vanilla ice cream at The Scoop Shoppe.
We returned to the Riverside Inn in time for the jetboat ride.  We were told to be at the loading area at 3:15 but the boats were not loaded until 4:30!   Dozens and dozens of people showed up to ride the boats.  I was hot and miserable so I left.  I got a great photo of the jetboat roaring down the Rogue River from my room balcony.  I had a lovely dinner at a window table with a view of the Caveman Bridge at the Tap Rock of BLT with avocado on focaccia bread, and house chips.  I took 1/2 of the sandwich and some chips back to my room to eat while watching "Master Chef".   I do not regret opting out of the jetboat trip.  I heard stories the next day of getting soaked and having to hang clothes over the hotel patio railing to dry, having to deal with wasps/bees during the family style dinner at the OK Corral and being berated by one of the group leaders on the return trip.
I rose at 6:00am.  Breakfast at the hotel by 7:00.  Both leaders walked up as I was checking out/paying for my upgraded room at the Front Desk.  They were absolutely livid!  Especially the short, plump one.  Evidently the charge also showed up on the City of Vancouver bill.  It wasn't so much that the City of Vancouver got charged but it was a Control issue.  I heard later that she was rude to some of the people on her van. 
I enjoyed sitting on the deck of my room.  I was reluctant to leave but it was soon time to head back to Vancouver.  Our first stop was the Butterfly Pavilion at Elkton.  I found the geocache.  I met some geocachers who knew me.  I got a ride with the fort interpreter on a cart down to the reproduction of Hudson's Bay Fort Umpqua along the Umpqua River.  The others had walked or ridden the van.  The fort was not built on the original location.  We rode to the small downtown where I had pizza and beer at a restaurant.  I found a geocache.  I got an ice cream bar.
We traveled to Eugene.  Most of the group took a tour of the Ninkasi brewery.  I sat in the shade at the patio and charged my IPhone.  We stopped at Euphoria Chocolates for samples and to purchase chocolates.  I wonder if the group leaders got a kickback?  We had dinner at Sam Bonds Garage.  A dreadful, hot place.  I got a large chocolate chip cookie as I was not that hungry.  We headed north with a rest stop at Pilot truck stop on the way.  I had planned to take the city bus however Carol Z. gave me a lift home.

No comments: