Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Missoula Ice Age Floods Trip September 2018

On January 28, 2018 I attended the Broadway Rose Theatre, Tigard production of "Murder for Two".  I arrived early so I read a worn booklet from the theatre display rack.  I saw the notice on the bottom of a page that the Portland Audubon Society was offering a Missoula Ice Age Floods trip in September.  I called Monday morning to register for the trip.  I joined the Audubon Society of Portland that afternoon.  I was the 14th (and last) person to sign up for the trip.

Saturday, September 22
I was picked up by Vancouver Cab at 1:35 PM.  Ten minutes too early!  I checked in at Alaska Airlines at PDX.  I went through TSA security.  I got a Strawberry Blueberry Yogurt and Shortbread Cookies at Starbucks.  I boarded the plane about 3:30.  We took off at 4:00.  We landed at 6:20 in Missoula.  I took photos of the Missoula Ice Age Floods strandlines on Mt. Jumbo with the large white letter "L" on the hillside as we flew over.  I picked up my luggage.  I met Nancy who is also on the trip.  She was on the same nonstop flight from Portland.  I called the Comfort Inn to be picked up. 

I checked into Room 410 at the Comfort Inn University with a great view of the Clark Fork River.  Spectacular sunset!  I went to dinner at Tamarack Brewing.  Someone paid for my dinner!  I got a cab ride back to the hotel.  I wrote in my journal as I watched  "Love it or Leave it".  Off to bed!

Sunday, September 23
I had breakfast at the Comfort Inn.  I caught the hotel shuttle about 8:45 AM.  At the airport terminal I met up with Nancy.  We met the group (minus one) at the terminal lobby including our group leaders: Candace Larson and Patty Newland.  We traveled in two 15-passenger vans.  We switched vans and seating each day so we got a varied experience. 

We went to Caffe Dolce for brunch.  I saw the display of Dolce Tableware and met the Proprietor.  He gave me a glossy catalog.  We drove back to the airport to pick up the last of our group.  We drove north to the National Bison Range for a visit on our way to Thompson Falls.  The highest point on the drive is 4,700 feet above sea level.  A signboard described historic Glacial Age Missoula, which helped form this valley.  Strandlines are still evident on north-facing slopes.  I saw a "Glacial Lake Missoula Highest Point 4200 Feet" sign as we drove down the hill.  I saw American bison, pronghorn and bald eagle in the refuge.  We had dinner together at Big Eddy's, a local restaurant.  We stayed the night in Thompson Falls at the Falls Motel.  I stayed in Room 26.   I watched television and then off to bed!

Monday, September 24
We had breakfast at Minnie's Restaurant in Thompson Falls.  Highlights of the day included viewing Rainbow Lake - a Kolk, Giant Current Ripples at Camas Prairie (Earthcache) and the ancient shorelines of Glacial Lake Missoula.  We had a picnic lunch at Finley Flats.  Following the Missoula Ice Age Floodwaters we headed for Spokane Valley.  We traveled along Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho.  We stayed overnight at the La Quinta Inn.  I stayed in Room 309.  I got a gift package for joining the La Quinta Inn membership.  Found nearby geocache.  We had dinner at Twigs Bistro.  I watched HGTV and went to sleep.

Tuesday, September 25
We had breakfast at the La Quinta Inn.  Our destination was the Grand Coulee Dam.  We visited the Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge near Cheney, encompassing over 18000 acres of the Channeled Scablands and home to a diverse array of birds and wildlife.  We had a picnic lunch.  Traveling northwest we visited many interesting flood features, including ring dikes north of Othello.  While the group hiked to the dikes, I stayed in the van and read a novel.  

We traveled to Grand Coulee, a 60-mile-long deep channel carved by floodwaters.  We stayed two nights at the Columbia River Inn, in order to explore this area.  I had a room on the 2nd floor.  I sat on the balcony and read my novel.  The patio chair seat was too low so I put the seat cushion from the bedroom armchair on it.  We had dinner at La Presa Mexican Restaurant.  I walked down the service road to the gate to watch the laser show on the dam spillway. 

Wednesday, September 26
We had breakfast at Pepper Jacks Grill.  Great French toast for breakfast.  We explored both the lower and upper Grand Coulee.  The group visited the Lake Lenore Caves.  I stayed in the van reading.  We stopped at the Dry Falls Overlook and Visitor Center.  Dry Falls was under 300 feet of water moving 65 miles per hour during the floods.  After lunch we drove along Banks Lake, a 27-mile long reservoir.  It was formerly a dry coulee formed by the Missoula Ice Age Floods.  The group hiked in Northrup Canyon.  The mosquitoes were vicious.  I stayed in the van reading Grisham's new book - "The Rooster Bar".  I walked along the lake with a few from the group.  We had dinner at the Melody Restaurant which left a lot to be desired.  I watched television. Today I saw a Killdeer, Great Egret, Red-wing Blackbird, Northern Pintail, Pelican, Canada Goose and a caterpillar.

Thursday, September 27
We had breakfast at Pepper Jacks Grill.  We crossed the Ephrata expansion bar below the Lower Grand Coulee.  We headed towards the Drumheller Channels, northwest of Othello.  This area of 50 square miles was scoured by the floodwaters.   I saw ducks, pelicans, Burrowing Owl and a squirrel.  We had a picnic at Potholes State Park.  I saw a Red-tailed Hawk, Great Blue Heron, California Quail and heard a Great Horned Owl during the afternoon.  I had Room 201 with a balcony at the M&M Motel in Connell.  I sat on the balcony, read my novel and watched the birds.  We had dinner next door at Michael Jay's Restaurant.

Friday, September 28
We had breakfast at Michael Jay's Restaurant.  Connell lies at the mouth of the Washtucna Coulee, once the westward path of the Palouse River.  During the floods the Palouse River scoured out a new channel that the Palouse River now follows.  We traveled through the 500-foot deep, four miles long Devils Canyon.  We saw the spectacular Palouse Falls (Earthcache).  Four people died recently at Palouse Falls.  Some of the group went for a walk along the rim.  We had a picnic lunch.  The Yellowjackets were so fierce that I ate my lunch in the van.  

We traveled south to Lions Ferry State Park.  I forgot to bring my book from the van so I listened to music on my IPhone.  We went back to Connell for the night.  I rode the van to the north end of Columbus Avenue in Connell and walked back to the motel, looking at Murals and Bronze and Concrete Sculptures along the way.  Some of the sculptures had geocaches.  Today I saw an Eagle, Red-Tailed Hawk, California Quail, Golden Eagle, Gull, Sparrow, Lark, Loon, and Canada Goose.  We had dinner next door at Michael Jay's Restaurant.

Saturday, September 29
We had breakfast next door at Michael Jay's Restaurant.  We made our way back to Portland.  We saw Wallula Gap, Two Sisters and Hat Rock.  I read my novel at a picnic table at Hat Rock State Park while the group went for a birding hike.  We had lunch at Sergios 2 in Hermiston.  We arrived at Portland International Airport approximately 6:00 PM.  I got my suitcase and headed for the restroom and electric outlet to charge my IPhone.  I boarded the MAX light rail.  I pushed the emergency button to warn the conductor that a large metal suitcase had been abandoned in the MAX car.  It was removed. Two MAX Light Rail trains and two buses later I was back to the street where I live.  It was good to be home!

No comments: