Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Missoula Ice Age Flood Trip -- Day 4


Monday, August 4 – I used the hotel’s calculator to figure out the coordinates for Trevor’s geocache. I ate breakfast with the Elderhostel group. I picked a seat at the back of the tour bus so I could be a “Nester” – one who does not rotate seats. It was an exit row seat so I had more leg room. We departed about 8:30, traveling to nearby Hangman Creek to view the flood deposited bank. We picked up the box lunches in Spokane. We traveled northeast to Sandpoint where we ate our picnic lunches. We stopped at the signboard at Lake Pend Oreille and then traveled on to the Cabinet Gorge Dam on the Clark Fork River. Massive dams of ice once stood here (15,000-12,000 years ago) and blocked water from leaving western Montana until their catastrophic failures. Water roared across Idaho, Washington and Oregon to the Pacific Ocean in the largest flood known to have occurred on earth. We traveled back to Spokane, arriving at the Red Lion River Inn in time for dinner. Don Popejoy gave a talk but I chose to walk back across Riverfront Park instead to hunt for the cache. No cache!

No comments: