Thursday, August 16, 2012

Road Scholar and Backroads of Oregon II - Day 2

Sunday, August 5, 2012 - I got up early in the morning.  I drove about ten miles north to do Wildwood Road (GC1NFZ4)  to make sure that I found a cache on DELORME Atlas p. 44.   I found three benchmarks and a Virtual also today.

I purchased a Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit in Coos Bay at 10:15am.  I had a free bowl of ice cream with it at the The Oregon Connection/The House of Myrtlewood.

I had a photocopy of the card to earn a commemorative geocoin from The Oregon Connection/The House of Myrtlewood - Celebrating 10 Years of Geocaching!   Originally there were a total of 500 coins available, with the first 400 trackable at geocaching.com.  I fed the 21 coordinates into my new 2555LM Garmin. 

I drove to interesting and historical locations in Coos Bay, North Bend, Charleston and the area and answered specific questions about each location.  The most memorable were:  Lost at SeaStatue of a commercial fisherman, face weather beaten, memorializes commercial fishermen lost at sea.  Artist Dick Crane, 1990.  Marble slab nearby is engraved with names of commercial fishermen who have died at sea.  Some bodies were never recovered.  And Steve Prefontaine's Grave Marker.  I had no idea that he lived in Coos Bay.  I was in my Junior year at Portland State University when I heard about his death in a car accident in Eugene, Oregon.
















I arrived 15 minutes late for the 5:00PM Road Scholar (Program #11909RJ) Reception and Orientation at the Red Lion Meeting Room.  I was surprised that there were no hors d'oeuvres (appetizers) or drinks.  Eleven people were sitting around tables formed in a U-shape.  No casual mingling.  The leader, Julia Miller, talked about the program for the week.  We had dinner at 6:00PM.  I had cheesecake for dessert with a black hair in the crust!  

No comments: