Saturday, May 7, 2022

Home Away From Home - Alexandria, VA

When I stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Alexandria, the hotel staff knows me as I stay there almost every year.  I left Charlottesville, VA at 8:53 AM in Business Class, arriving Alexandria at 11:03 AM.  I had a King Bed One Bedroom Suite w/Living Room at the Comfort Suites in Alexandria.  My eldest son, Jeff, and I had dinner at Chuy's Mexican Food. 

Jeff introduced me to Geocaching in October 2004.  Ironically Geocaching began in May 2000 less than 30 miles southeast of my house.  I had never heard about Geocaching until my visit with Jeff.   My first Geocache find with Jeff and Lorraine was the "Ash Grove Bug Hotel" in Virginia.  I was so impressed by this historical geocache that when I returned home I created several historical geocaches in No. Portland, Oregon and Clark County, Washington

Tuesday, April 26 - Jeff and I found a Traditional Cache, a Multi Cache, and an Earthcache at the Battle Creek Cypress Swamp Sanctuary. We visited the Calvert Marine Museum.  I saw the Drum Point Lighthouse Built 1883.  We had dinner at The Lighthouse Restaurant at Solomons Island, Maryland.

Wednesday, April 27 - Jeff and I found a Traditional Cache, three Earthcaches including The Devils Den at Gettysburg and a Virtual.  I found a Benchmark.  We saw the Monocacy National Battlefield.  We ate a late lunch at Blue & Gray Bar & Grill in Gettysburg.  We visited the Gettysburg Visitor Center where we saw a Film, Cyclorama and Museum.  I watched "Survivor" in the evening.

Thursday, April 28 - Jeff and I visited the Shenandoah River Valley and Skyline Drive.  Virginia's Skyline Drive is a National Scenic Byway that runs 105 miles along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  I found a Traditional Cache and a Virtual.  We did the Shenandoah National Park Vistas Adventure Lab.  Jeff found a lot of Earthcaches.  I was not impressed by the Earthcache sites along Skyline Drive.  We stopped at Shenandoah National Park Skyland about 3:00 PM for a late lunch (or early dinner).  We visited the Byrd Visitor Center.  I watched "Master Chef Junior" in the evening.

Friday, April 29 - We visited Manassas, Virginia.  We started The Battles of Bull Run & Manassas Adventure Lab but quit when it involved long walks.  We had lunch at the Pub in Manassas.  We had to head back early as Jeff had an event to attend in the evening.  I watched "Below Deck Sailing Yacht" series on television.

Saturday, April 30 - We went to Maryland.  I found a Traditional Cache, an Earthcache, and did an Adventure  Lab - Chelsea the Church Mouse visits Cambridge.  We ate at the Carpenter Street Saloon, St. Michaels, MD.  I had a delicious Grilled Reuben.  We drove through DC in the evening.  I got a great photo of the brightly lit Washington Monument.

Sunday, May 1 - Jeff, Donna and I attended the NoVAGO Spring Picnic 2022 at Mason District Park in Annandale, VA.  The heavy rain held off until the Event was over!  I was scheduled to fly out of National Airport at 6:55 PM however I volunteered to be bumped.  They called me while I was having a snack in the American Airlines lounge.  I requested that they double the price which they did plus a stay overnight at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City and First Class seat.  As a Hyatt Member I had a suite on the top floor but later moved as it was near a very noisy pepsi machine.

Monday, May 2 - I checked my luggage at the front desk, rode the Airport Shuttle to National Airport and took the Metro to Alexandria.  I had a scone and hot tea at Starbucks, enjoyed a mango and lemon sorbet at Dolci Gelati, and took a guided tour of the Carlyle House.  I purchased a Toy Cypher Wheel.  I rode the Metro back to National Airport where I took the Airport Shuttle back to the Hyatt Regency.  I got my luggage and rode the Airport Shuttle back to National Airport.  After checking in at the Ticket Counter I went to the American Airline Lounge once again. 

I boarded my flight which took off about 7:00 PM, sitting in First Class, 3A.  My seatmate, John, opened my Diet Coke cans for me, loaned me his noise cancelling headset and IPad so I could watch "The House of Gucci" and gave me two sea salt toffee in milk chocolate bars that he was given by the  flight attendant.  His composure during the bumpy segments of the flight reassured me. 

I arrived in a rainy Portland about 9:45 PM.  I got a terrible Taxi Driver who ran up the meter.  My next flight is during the daytime so I will take MAX Light Rail and buses to my home for $1.50.  All in all it was a great two weeks but it will take me quite some time to recover, I'm sure...

No comments: