Thursday, May 5, 2022

Road Scholar - I Survived New York City

In preparation for the Road Scholar Trip to New York City I read "New York" by Edward Rutherfurd.  This historical fiction looks at the fascinating story of New York City from its early years as a 17th century Dutch trading post through to the present day. 

Saturday, April 16 - My youngest sister, Jeanette, dropped me off at PDX airport.  I traveled via Alaska Airlines from Portland, Oregon at 6:00 AM, arriving at National Airport via Seattle about 4:40 PM.  I had Bulkhead Seat.  Alaska Airlines tried to take my Bulkhead seat (6A) in Seattle however I insisted that I had paid for that seat.  I suggested three times that they gave me a seat in First Class if they wanted my seat.  They didn't.  I kept my seat in 6A.

I rode from National Airport to the Van Dorn Street Metro Station where my eldest son, Jeff, picked me up.  We had dinner at Delia's - a Mediterranean Grill & Brick Oven Pizza.  I had a Gyro with a glass of Erath wine.  I stayed in an 8th floor suite at the Comfort Suite in Alexandria.  My home away from home.  Great location.  It is now serving a breakfast buffet. 

Sunday, April 17th - Following breakfast I took a cab to the Amtrak Railroad Station, Alexandria   I caught the 8:25 AM train to Penn Station riding in Business Class arriving at 12:47 PM.  I walked across the street to The New Yorker Hotel (1929).  I had a great room - 748.  Comfortable arm chair for relaxation.  Beautifully decorated.   

Road Scholar Program Registration was held at 4:00 PM.  I was given an info packet.  I was also given a yellow gold baseball cap which I was expected to wear.  Not going to happen!  Dinner was in a diner off the hotel lobby at 5:00 PM.  Orientation was held at 6:15 - 7:30 PM.  After Orientation the group walked over to the Empire State Building. I chose to go by myself later so I could have more time to explore the exhibits and the 86th floor.   

Monday, April 18th - Following breakfast in the diner, we had an introductory lecture on New York City.  Following the lecture, we took the subway to New York Public Library (and a Box Lunch), St. Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center.  We had a behind the scenes tour of Radio City Music Hall.  We had dinner at a neighborhood restaurant - Chef Yu.  After dinner, we heard an introduction to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, in preparation for tomorrow's field trip.  

Tuesday, April 19th - Following breakfast in the diner, we traveled via Subway to the ferry that took us to Liberty Island.  I wandered through the museum.  I had lunch in the cafeteria.  I did not visit Ellis Island.  Back in Manhattan I did the National Monuments Virtual.  We regrouped in Battery Park.  Joe, a R. S. Helper, and I rode the subway two blocks from the Empire State Building.  I spent a couple hours looking at the exhibits and the view of Manhattan and beyond.  I had dinner at Chef Yu, an authentic Chinese Restaurant.   

Wednesday, April 20th - Following breakfast in the diner, I went to the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre for 9:00 AM Rush.  I was able to get a $138 ticket for $38 (partial view).  I went to the Grand Central Terminal to do the Virtual Cache.  I enjoyed the Whispering Gallery.  I got a quick snack of yogurt and another of fruit near the theatre at Pret A Manger.  I saw the musical "Come From Away" from Row A 7, sitting on a big cushion.  I found a Virtual at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. I watched "Survivor" in the evening.   

Thursday, April 21st -  An art historian gave us an overview of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  We rode the subway to the west edge of Central Park.  While the group traversed Central Park  I rode the bus with Joe, the R. S. helper, across to the museum.  I ate a Chicken Taco Wrap and Chocolate Brownie for lunch in the cafe overlooking the courtyard.  I met Patti from Bend, Oregon when I shared their table.  I saw four works of art that really interested me - the Tiffany Window "Autumn Landscape", Portrait of Madame X, Washington Crossing the Delaware and a portrait of Augustus Saint-Gaudens.  Road Scholars had dinner at a neighborhood Pub.  I watched "Master Chef Junior".  I packed my luggage for the Amtrak trip to Charlottesville, Virginia.   

During my stay in New York City I found four Virtuals: "The Empire Strikes Back", "National Monuments", "Busman's Holiday" and "The Grandest of the Grand".  I also found three Benchmarks.

No comments: