Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 -- Missoula Flood Trip


Wednesday, August 15, 2007 – We left Spokane at 8:30, heading west. I photographed the water tank in Davenport. We stopped at the Davenport City Park along Cottonwood Creek to use the restrooms.

We went by Coulee Dam, Steamboat Rock and Coulee City to Grand Coulee (Registered National Landmark) and Dry Falls where we had lunch. I stood on the concrete platform to view and photograph Dry Falls. Flood waters, perhaps 300 feet above me, rushed over these cliffs, scarring large areas with dry channels, called coulees. This one, the Grand Coulee, is the largest.

We stopped at an overlook of Crescent Bar and West Bar to view ripple marks made by the Missoula floodwaters. The view was quite impressive. We stopped at the Quincy Valley Rest Area. It was 97 degrees at 3:00pm when we went through Quincy.

We went past a water tank in George, Washington. We drove past the Wild Horse Monument Scenic View. We saw pillow basalt. Wanapum Dam road stop. We stopped at a park in Kennewick where I photographed a racing boat perched on the top of a very high pole.

We were running very late so we did not travel Hwy 12 to see Wallula Gap and the Two Sisters. Instead we traveled I-82/395 into Oregon and then west on I-84. I saw a water tank in Boardman. We had dinner and stayed the night in The Dalles.

No comments: