Thursday, November 18, 2010

Trip to Turlock/Yosemite - Thursday, November 11, 2010


I backtracked from north Medford on I-5 to find a cache and then headed south. I ate bacon-egg-and cheese biscuit and small orange juice at McDonalds in Phoenix for breakfast. I ate lunch at Burger King in Yreka and stopped mid-afternoon for hot fudge sundae at McDonalds in Red Bluff. I had big bowl of chili with corn bread for dinner at Perko’s CafĂ© in Red Bluff. I stayed the night at Motel 6 – Red Bluff.

The most interesting cache of the day was “Stone’s Turnpike.” Until 1860, only a dangerous pack trail through the upper Sacramento River Canyon linked Oregon with California. Yreka’s merchants and settlers wanted a safer wagon road. The rugged terrain defied road building efforts until the Upper Soda Springs-Pitt River Turnpike Company built 44 miles of road from Upper Soda Springs (north Dunsmuir) to Stone’s Pitt River Ferry (now under Lake Shasta). Stone’s Turnpike Road is now Interstate 5. The most interesting sight was the snow capped Mt. Shasta.

No comments: