Saturday, November 20, 2010

Trip to Turlock/Yosemite - Monday, November 15



After a breakfast of blueberries and yogurt topped with Quaker Oats, my daughter, Catherine, left for work. I packed the car and headed north for Vancouver, WA. I purchased an Italian sub sandwich, chip and soft drink at Subway in Galt. I ate my lunch near Hwy 99 overlooking flooded fields west of Coursman. I watched a couple white herons. I got a hot fudge sundae at McDonalds in Gridley. I ate tendercrisp chicken sandwich, diet coke and apple pie for dinner at Burger King in Willows. I stayed the night at Motel 6 in Willows.

The most memorable cache was “In Memoriam” in Yuba City. The caretaker told me about the plaza which was an Eagle Scout project and the story of the tragic event. Twenty eight Yuba City High School Choir students died after a bus loaded with 57 students plunged off a Hwy 680 off-ramp near Martinez and landed upside down about 11:00AM on May 21, 1976. Two teachers were also on board with the husband of one of the teachers following in a car. One of the teachers, Cristina Estabrook, died in the crash.

No comments: