Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Great Ice Age Floods - Wednesday, August 10, 2011


Following breakfast at the Shilo Inn, we boarded the bus for a trip west. We saw the Potholes Reservoir, Sentinel Gap from the Vantage Bridge, Frenchman Springs Coulee and Feathers. A few of us even hiked the road from the Frenchman Springs Coulee viewpoint to Feathers. I found a benchmark on the way there. We traveled to the end of the old Vantage Road. You can still see the yellow stripe down the center of the road as it disappeared into the Columbia River. We had a picnic lunch at a local park in Odessa.

We saw Crescent Bar and West Bar. It would have been better to view the ripples in the early morning. We traveled southeast to Quincy Basin and Walla Walla. We checked into the Best Western in Walla Walla. We were on our own for dinner. I found one Puzzle Cache, one Cache and two Benchmarks today. The house at the Butler House Cache was interesting. I bought a sandwich, barbecue chips, and a Hershey bar at the Gas Mart across the street from the motel which I ate in my room watching television. I had a miserable night with someone making loud noises above my room most of the night!

No comments: