Saturday, August 20, 2011

Homeward Bound - Saturday, August 13, 2011


I could see the Missoula Ice Age Standlines on the hillside from the motel balcony. I got a poppyseed muffin and hot chocolate for breakfast at 6:00AM from the motel lobby. I went back to bed for a couple hours.

I was thrilled to see the standlines on Mt. Jumbo and Mt. Sentinel! After 15,000 years they are clearly visible. I visited the Natural History Museum at noon where I saw an exhibit on the Ice Age Floods and purchased the recently published book "Bretz's Flood: The Remarkable Story of a Rebel Geologist and the World's Greatest Flood" by John Soennichsen. I had lunch at Burger King. I visited Sky King's gravesite at the Missoula Cemetery. My car was filthy so I took it to Dazzlers Car Wash. I stopped by Cracker Barrel Restaurant to get photos and coords for a Waymark.

Leaving Missoula I drove to Ninemile Remount Depot & Ranger Station in the Lolo National Forest. I took a photograph of Bill Jones, Volunteer with a Rocky Mountain Canary (also known as a mule) in the museum. I believe Bill said that his name was "Chipper" as the mule was made of wood. I saw a Time Capsule in Wallace but did not find the nearby cache as a car with a trailer was parked right next to it! It was late and once again a frantic search for a motel for the night. I purchased some snacks at Flying J Store in Post Falls for dinner. I found one Benchmark, two Virtuals and one Cache.

No comments: