Saturday, September 17, 2011

'Savoring Seattle" - Day 3


On Monday, September 12th, we departed the hotel by motor coach and traveled north to the Boeing Everett factory for a 1 1/2 guided factory tour. We were required to leave our things on the coach or in a locker. I took my credit card and ID but should have also taken a couple dollars to get something in the cafe. After viewing a short video we boarded a bus and rode a few blocks to the plant. We walked to a big elevator which took us to a viewing platform above the manufacturing area. Our guide told us all about the process of putting the enormous planes together and the building itself. It is the largest building in the world. We took a bus to another section to view more planes moving down a long assembly line. Boeing 747, 767, 777, and 787 are currently produced there. I purchased a Boeing Aviator Bear in the Boeing Store.


We traveled back to Seattle and the Pike Place Market. We had a short tour and then we were on our own for lunch and to explore the market. I had fish and chips for lunch at the Athenian where a scene in "Sleepless in Seattle" was filmed. Note the red labels on the edge of the counter. I got a chocolate treat at a shop. I explored the many levels of the market on my own.


Back in my hotel room I heard the fire sirens which stopped at the hotel. The weather is getting cooler and cooler. I forgot to bring a jacket so I decided to go to Nordstrom to purchase one. I called the front desk and was informed that all of the elevators had been brought down to the lobby floor. So I walked down eight flights of stairs. I saw two fire engines in front of the hotel. I purchased a North Face jacket at Nordstrom. After dinner at the hotel we heard from a speaker about the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II and the effects it had on families, businesses and the entire Northwest.

No comments: