Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Savoring Seattle" - Day 1


On Saturday, September 10th, I traveled north on Amtrak Business Class to Seattle from Vancouver, Washington. Vancouver is the oldest continuous settlement in the Pacific Northwest. I arrived at the 1906 King Street Station about noon. The interior of the station is undergoing restoration. The railroad station is dominated by a massive tower, a copy of the famous campanile in the Piazza de San Marco in Venice, Italy.

I walked across the street where I caught a free city bus at 3rd Ave. S. & Jackson. I got off the bus at 3rd & Stewart and walked a couple blocks to The Moore hotel at 2nd & Virginia. I had a suite with a rather strange bathroom with a large floor to ceiling window.

I had a delicious lunch at the 4th floor Nordstrom cafe at 1:30pm. I got a couple candies at Sees. I caught the city bus up Pike Street to the new location of the Elliott Bay Book Company at 1521 Tenth Avenue. I heard Jack Lewis read a passage from his book, "Nothing in Reserve" at 5:00pm. I purchased Elizabeth Gaskell's "Cranford". I rode the city bus back to downtown where I purchased a lunch and drink at Starbucks for a light dinner in my hotel suite. I watched a couple cooking episodes of "Chopped" on television.

No comments: