Sunday, November 18, 2007

Miami Book Fair International - Day 10


Monday, November 12 – Even though I still did not feel well I ventured forth. I had the complimentary breakfast at Tapas & Tintos of green tea and pastry.

I caught the “H” bus north to 163rd and Biscayne Blvd. (Hwy 1). I walked north passing a market where I bought a banana. I visited The Cloisters of the Ancient Spanish Monastery at 16711 West Dixie Highway.

I explored the museum where I saw the Hymnarium, Pope’s Cabinet, and 150+-years old Chasuble. I wandered through the doors where I watched several raccoons feeding near the patio. I passed through the original iron gate that was set in front of the walls leading into the monastery. It is hand-wrought and weighs over 200 pounds. I walked through the garden taking several photos of the exterior of the monastery. I entered The Cloisters of the Spanish Monastery which is officially listed in the Register of Historical Sites. I explored the interior courtyard and The Chapel--originally the monastery refectory (dining hall). There were two large statues in the courtyard: King Alphonso VII and Alphonso VIII (grandson of Alphonso VII). I walked back to the museum where I saw two “tuxedo” cats on the patio, waiting to be fed. I was given a long-stemmed rose which I took back to my home in the Pacific Northwest.

I walked several blocks to the bus stop. I rode it to 55th Street on Biscayne Blvd. I searched for a house at 5200 Biscayne Blvd. for a Waymark Category but there was just an empty field. I rode another bus to OMNI station, and rode the Metromovers to Bayside station.

I purchased fruit & cheese plate and a drink at Starbucks at Bayside Marketplace (disappointed that they did not have any shortbread cookies). I caught the “S” bus to Lincoln Road. I wandered along the eight blocks of Lincoln Road pedestrian mall with its artist shops, art galleries, boutiques, shops and sidewalk cafes. The central mall was adorned with quirky tiled fountains. I ventured into the Britto Central Miami Art Gallery. I still did not feel well so I was glad to return to my hotel room. I ate dinner while I watched television. I finished packing and slept soundly until 2:00am.

No comments: