Friday, November 16, 2007

Miami Book Fair International - Day 4


November 6 – I woke about 7:00am, dressed, took a photo of a view from my balcony and went across the street to Tapas & Tintos for a complimentary breakfast. I walked south on Ocean Drive. I talked to a sidewalk vendor who made things out of palm fronds i.e. baskets, fish, etc. I could not find the benchmarks that were supposedly located between 12th & 13th on Ocean Drive. I got photographs and coordinates at the mansion of the late fashion designer Gianni Versace (1946-1997). In July 1997, Gianni Versace was gunned down by Andrew Cunanan he slid his key into the scrolled gate outside his South Beach mansion.

I took photographs of the Blackstone Hotel Clock (Benchmark: AC3538). The hands of the clock are gone. The Blackstone is an apartment building now. I rode the “C’ bus across the MacArthur Causeway. I photographed the Flagler Memorial several times during the week through the bus window, trying to get a decent shot.

I caught the OMNI Metromover to Government Center. I visited the Miami-Dade Cultural Center—a complex of three Mediterranean Revival Buildings. I ate a Waldorf chicken salad for lunch at the Top Hat. I used the computer terminals at the Miami Public Library to check my e-mail before visiting the Historical Museum of South Florida and the Miami Art Museum. I liked the Opera exhibit so much that I saw it twice.

I walked east on Flagler to the Miami First Trust Co. (Benchmark: AC3521). The building is being renovated. I walked to MDCC campus. I had a fruit & walnut salad at McDonalds. “An Evening with Jenna Bush” was held at 7:30pm at Chapman (Bldg. 3, 2nd Floor). She talked about her book, “Ana’s Story”. Jenna Bush did not take any questions. What can you say when you are advocating the improvement of children’s lives while your father vetoes health care for children.

Afterwards I visited the Bayside Marketplace. Overlooking Biscayne Bay, the tropical, indoor/outdoor Bayside Marketplace is like an international carnival, teeming with stalls offering cute (if largely useless) merchandise, a wide variety of stores, cafes and restaurants (Starbucks!), and music performances. I got photographs of the carousel however I forgot to get the coordinates. I purchased fruit & cheese plate, orange drink and shortbread cookies at Starbucks.

I rode the Metromover to OMNI station and caught the “C” bus to South Beach. I ate my Starbucks dinner while watching the news. The Channel 7 (Fox News) reporter said there was standing room only for Jenna Bush. Actually there were only about 300 people in that huge auditorium.

No comments: