Sunday, November 18, 2007

Miami Book Fair International - Day 8


Saturday, November 10 -- I skipped the complimentary breakfast at Tapas & Tintos of green tea and pastry. I caught the “C” bus to OMNI Metromover station. At OMNI station I rode the Metromover to MDCC. I ate a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit at McDonalds.

I heard “American’s Cultural Obsession With the Law” at 10:00am, “The Making of The Joy Luck Club and its Legacy” at 11:00am, Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson in conversation at 12:30pm, Jeffrey Toobin on the secrets of the Supreme Court” at 2:00pm, and at 3:00pm “Traveling with Good Books”.

The Rock Bottom Remainders concert was held at 5:00pm at the MDCC Student Life Patio. On stage were Dave Barry, Sam Barry, Ridley Pearson, Scott Turrow, Kathi Kamen Goldmark, and other musicians and authors including Jeffrey Toobin.

After the concert I rode Metromover and then the “S” bus to Miami Beach. The traffic was so bad that I got off the bus and walked the last eight blocks to the 2007 Authors’ Party at The Raleigh Hotel, 1775 Collins Avenue. I got a chocolate chip cookie at the nearby Doubletree. The setting was beautiful at The Raleigh’s outdoor patio but not very functional. I sat with a woman from Miami Beach in small groups around a campfire and never mingled with other people much less saw any authors. I walked several blocks back to the hotel.

No comments: