Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Upper Left Hand Corner - Day 2

I had breakfast at 6:30AM in the hotel Terrace Garden restaurant located on the Fifth Floor.  We had talk at 8:30 on the history and operation of the Pike Place Market.

The tour bus departed at 9:00.  We had a narrated ride on a chartered coach to Ballard Locks, where a Corps of Engineers interpreter lectured us on the history of the Locks and then lead a walk of the locks and fish ladder. 


I was fascinated by the yacht "Legend" going through the locks so I talked to a crew member who was onboard.   I inquired about the flag and learned that the yacht is registered in the Cayman Islands.  Later I researched the yacht on the Internet.  The Legacy is the ninth in the Westport 164 series. Designed by the well-known Donald Starkey and prestigious naval architect William Garden, the 164' Motor Yacht Legacy (hull 5009) was launched in November 2011.   I strolled through the Botanical Gardens.

We had lunch at Fisherman's - a waterfront restaurant known for its Dungeness cracked crab.  I had clam chowder and tossed green salad before the crab arrived.   I had a glass of Riesling wine.

We traveled a few blocks to Seattle Art Museum's Olympic Sculpture Park, on the shores of Elliott Bay.  I took several photos of the sculptures, red chairs and the Space Needle.   Photo of Calder's "Eagle" with red chairs.


We went to Pike Place Market for a guided walk of some of the Market highlights led by Carol. We had free time to explore the market afterwards.   Rachel the Pig, the unofficial bronze mascot of Pike Place Market.  Our leader, Carol, and Big Foot Wood Carving.  Photo of me by the Gum Wall.


I walked to Walgreens on 2nd and Pike to buy a pack of Nature Valley bars and Arrowhead bottled water at 4:00.  We had dinner in the hotel private dining room at 6:00.  Afterwards we had a lecture by a local geologist, David Williams, on Mt. Rainier and its volcanic potential.

No comments: