Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Upper Left Hand Corner - Day 5

I had buffet breakfast at 6:30 in the hotel restaurant.  The tour bus departed at 7:50.  We saw the new Fireboat and the Ferris Wheel at the dock.  The tour bus drove aboard the Washington State ferry to cross the Puget Sound to Bainbridge Island.

We drove to the Scandinavian village of Poulsbo where we stopped for pastries at Sluys Bakery.  I was turned aside so the clerk could wait on a couple, probably local, so I left.  I really did not want that cream filled chocolate covered donut or I would have stayed regardless.   We crossed the Hood Canal Floating Bridge on our way to Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula. 

I had lunch at Silverwater Cafe of Avocado Crab Wrap with a glass of Reisling Wine.   I got a dish of ice cream at Elevated Ice Cream.  There was no time to explore the town.



At 1:00 we had a guided tour by a local guide about Port Townsend's colorful history.  We visited  the interior and garden of the Starrett House (1889) - a very ornate, three-story Victorian.



We visited the Commanding Officer's Quarters at Fort Worden.  I saw the Point Wilson Lighthouse in the distance.

We traveled back across Puget Sound by ferry to Edmonds...
...for a leisurely dinner at Arnies - a waterfront seafood restaurant on the way home.  I had a Caesar Salad, Grilled Garlic Prawns, and housemade Key Lime Pie.  
We arrived back at our hotel late.

No comments: