Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Upper Left Hand Corner, September 16 - 21 and Cruise to Vancouver, B.C.

I boarded Amtrak Business Class in Vancouver, Washington at 8:45AM for Seattle, Washington.  I was not able to get the "water side" of the train.  It was still a great train ride.   
I arrived in Seattle at noon.  I walked to 4th & Jackson where I caught a bus to 3rd and Pike.  I walked a few blocks to the Red Lion Hotel, 1415 Fifth Avenue.  My room was not ready so I read "Maisie Dobbs" by Jacqueline Winspear sitting in a comfy chair in the lobby.  My room was ready about 1:15PM.   I was pleased to find that I had not been assigned a roommate.

After settling in room #1413, I walked to Nordstrom where I had lunch at the 4th floor cafe.  I got shortbread cookies at Starbucks for dessert.  I took a couple photos at The Athenian where a scene in "Sleepless in Seattle" was filmed.  


I purchased dahlias from the first flower stall in the Public Market.   The hotel loaned me a vase for the flowers.

I picked up my Road Scholar folder with program materials and name tag at 4:00PM.  Carol H. Barton is the Director of Road Scholar Programs in Seattle.  This is my tenth program in Seattle and my 47th Elderhostel/Road Scholar.  We had a hosted reception at 5:00, Welcome and discussion of agenda by Carol at 5:30 and dinner in a private dining room at 6:00.  After dinner we briefly introduced ourselves and watched a short film "Seattle Beat".  Then it was time to retire for the evening.

No comments: