Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vancouver to Vancouver - Day 9

Monday, September 24 - I rose very early and took a taxi to the Amtrak Station to travel from Vancouver, B.C. (Gastown established 1867; Vancouver incorporated as city in 1886) to Vancouver, Washington (Fort Vancouver was built in 1825; Vancouver was incorporated as a city in 1857).

Amtrak was supposed to depart at 6:40 however we sat on the tracks for an hour while they repaired an electrical problem.  I had a double seat on the "water side" in coach.
Shortly after the train was underway I got a Apple Danish Pastry and Yogurt Parfait in the cafe. Three customs agents came aboard at the border to check our passports.  I took two photographs of the sculpture.

I took several photos of the Nimitz.  According to Wikipedia, the USS Nimitz (CVN-68) is a supercarrier of the U.S. Navy, and is the lead ship of her class.  She is one of the largest warships in the world. She was laid down, launched and commissioned as CVAN-68 but was redesignated CVN 68 (nuclear-powered multimission aircraft carrier) on 30 June 1975 as part of the fleet realignment of that year.

The ship was named for WWII Pacific fleet commander Chester W. Nimitz,  who was the Navy’s third fleet admiral. She is the first carrier of her class and the most recent supercarrier not to be named for someone who held elective office in the United States.

Nimitz was homeported at Naval Station Norfolk until 1987, when she was relocated to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington.  Her homeport was changed to NAS North Island in San Diego, California in 2001.   Nimitz home port was again changed to Everett, Washington in 2012. 


I photographed the Bridge of Glass and the Museum of Glass in Tacoma.
When the train stopped in Seattle I got a sandwich and a bottle of Apple Juice in the cafe.  I chatted with an interesting woman named Margerita from Colombia, South America during the train ride to Vancouver.  She took a photograph of us.  I talked about the Road Scholar programs to the woman in the seat behind me.  I photographed the Tacoma Narrow bridge. 
I arrived in Vancouver late and was picked up at 4:30PM.  It has taken me a few days to fully recover from the trip.

No comments: